Thursday, January 13, 2005

Coloring outside the lines of conformity

I'm trying not to listen

But they are yelling so loud

I turn up the stereo

Shunning my curious ears

I worry about her so

As she's fighting off tears.

And I know her so well

She refuses to learn

Defending the enemy as she continues to yell.

My mother feels helpless in persuading her to stay

But the foe has brainwashed her

And our mother watches as she simply drives away

Away from her comfort zone

Away from the well known

She knows she'll be fine here

And that's why she drives off

Bravely into the fog

Where she may struggle,

suffer,

but learn on her own.

And what she recieves from her experiences

is something unknown

She has yet to find it.

But when she does,

she will have more respect from me

than anyone who was too afraid to color outside of the lines.

If I have learned anything from her in the past 16 years

it is to ignore those lines of conformity.

Forget about society.

Branch out.

Feel.

And for once, she makes me cry without even intending to

I realize now how proud I am of her

just for diving into life.

Diving into this new, unknown world

and refusing to back down now.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home